Monday, August 5, 2013

Maxwell James, Age 10


 
 He’s a grown man now,
Full of my instructions.

I taught him to understand

remorse, how brave we must be
To admit when we are wrong.

 

My neighbor said my son had
Teased hers, who was autistic and

Felt cruelty like anyone else.
He had been crying for an hour

At my son’s betrayal.

 

I asked him how it would feel
To watch a bully tease his own brother,

Older by six years but fragile and exposed
to the same kind of cruelty.

His face grew hot with red shame and contrition,
That day’s lesson of thou shalt not.

 

He told me he was sorry and begged me not to make him go.
I watched from the driveway as he slump-shouldered

His way slowly across the lawn, tear-streaked,
His superhero sneakers scuffing the dirt.

My heart seized in my chest as he raised his fist to knock.

 

He’s a grown man now,
Full of my instructions.

I raised him to remember compassion,
Feel the weight of his power

to choose.

No comments:

Post a Comment