Tuesday, September 28, 2010

Identity

I was thinking this morning about why I chose to name my blog "A Different Family". Aside from the fact that my husband was pushing and pushing for me to come up with something already, (I threw out that title and it stuck), why that particular description of who we are? I think it may have to do with the fact that I was a niche writer for several years. That is, I wrote about a specific subject--namely disability topics--and I don't think I've ever thought of being anything else. Obviously we are a family living with a difference so I've always thought of us as different from our friends and extended family. In most ways, I suppose we're typical, but a child with a disability gives us a unique perspective about life.
For instance, because Cliff was our first child, my other children possess an understanding and an appreciation of people with disabilities that their friends do not have. I went from being shy and quiet to speaking out because I had to be Cliff's voice. Ken became an advocate and I think we both became that much more connected to each other.
So I guess you can say I named the blog what I did because we are different people than we would have been without Cliff in our lives. His life made ours more meaningful and purposeful. His struggles and challenges and successes are also our struggles, challenges and successes. If you are living, as we are, with a difference, the trick is to embrace it. Embrace the differences with grace and gratitude. It's all good.

1 comment:

  1. Celia, that was beautiful!!!! It really makes me appreciate you even more! When I was growing up I didn't see many people around me with disabilities like we do now. And since I worked with young adults at Tri County Reg HS before I started driving special needs, I never thought I would be able to handle it and I did because I came to find that they are the same as I am inside and out!!! Cliff has made so many people's lives more meaningful! Especially mine!

    ReplyDelete